What is a Blanket?
A blanket authorization provides a limited direct authority to purchase goods or services from outside vendors. A blanket authorization is set up by Purchasing Services and is established for a specific timeframe and/or dollar limit, see BPPM 70.19).
Types of Blankets
- Departmental Blanket: allows a single department to purchase goods and services from a specific vendor. Most often, competitive bidding is required to establish this blanket.
- Sundry Blanket: in unusual circumstances, a sundry blanket may be established, which allows a single department to purchase goods and services from various vendors.
- University Blanket: any University department may use blanket to purchase goods and services from a specified vendor.
- Internal Blanket: allows a single department to purchase goods and services from a University service center. (This is submitted on an Interdepartmental Requisition and Invoice (IRI).)
Processing invoices on a Blanket
Accounts Payable requires original inked signature from an expenditure authority and the budget coding under the expenses should be charged to. The approving signature is an indication to Accounts Payable the goods or services have been received. Please Note: Prior to sending the invoice to Accounts Payable ensure the blanket number (B#) is referenced on the invoice.
Original invoices should be routed directly to Accounts Payable (zip: 1025) for payment processing. Accounts Payable reviews each invoice to ensure compliance in accordance with State of WA policy and Washington State University. If compliance is met, blanket invoices are processed in net/30 payment terms in accordance to WSU’s Purchasing Terms and Conditions.
Invoices must meet the following criteria before payment can be made to the vendor:
- The invoice must bill Washington State University
- The invoice must contain printed heading with vendor name and remit to address
- The invoice must include an itemized list of goods or services provided to WSU