What is a Department Order (K-Order)?
A department order is a payment method used to make simple purchases of goods or services less than the Direct Buy Limit of $10k. The department order generates an encumbrance against the supporting account and liquidates once payment has been paid in full. Department orders are created in AIS and signed by a WSU employee holding expenditure authority for the supporting accounts. The department is responsible to a print copy of the department order to provide to the vendor and also provide the University’s Terms and Conditions for doing business with WSU. For record retention purposes, the signed departmental copy and the itemized receipts are the University’s official public record of retention and must be retained by the department. See BPPM 90.01.
WSU departments are to create a department order for all purchases not processed by one of the following methods:
- Purchasing card (see BPPM 70.08)
- Requisitioned purchase through Purchasing Services (see BPPM 70.13)
- WSU contract (see BPPM 70.21)
There is a list of prohibited purchases for department orders which can be found in BPPM 70.07.2.
Creating a Department Order in AIS
Department orders are created by WSU departments using the AIS system and PAPR application. If a WSU employee would like to request permission to create department orders they must first complete the following:
- Obtain an AIS userid, by completing Network Services Account Request Form, see BPPM 85.37
- Complete training as directed by the Washington Department of Enterprise Services (DES), see: EmployeeTraining.html
- Complete AIS Access Request Form, see BPPM 85.33
There are step by step instructions for creating department orders in AIS. See BPPM 70.07.3.
Confirming Receipt of Goods or Services
Accounts Payable is unable to process payment until goods or services have been confirmed as received by WSU. See SAAM 85.32.20. Most equipment and supplies purchased by WSU are received by Central Receiving and Delivery which delivers the items to the departments. Departments at all WSU locations must use one of the reporting methods described below to promptly report the receipt of goods or services.
There are three methods to confirm a department order has been received:
- Email Central Receiving at email@example.com
- Telephone 335-5575
- Central Receiving website at: http://supplymgmt.wsu.edu/cr/po_completion.aspx
Accounts Payable is authorized to pay only when the goods or services are received and recorded in PAPR. Input of receipt information ensures that invoices are paid in a timely manner.
If a department order invoice has not been confirmed as received in PAPR, Accounts Payable will process the payment as a RIP payment.
Processing Invoices on a Department Order
Accounts Payable processes K-order invoices without an original signature from the expenditure authority. The approval to pay a department order invoice is granted when the department order is created in AIS. When goods or services have been received please route the invoice to Accounts Payable for processing. Please Note: Prior to sending the invoice to Accounts Payable ensure the department order number (K#) is referenced on the invoice.
Original invoices should be routed directly to Accounts Payable (zip: 1025) for payment processing. Accounts Payable reviews each invoice to ensure compliance in accordance with State of WA policy and Washington State University. If compliance is met, department order invoices are processed in net/30 payment terms in accordance to WSU’s Purchasing Terms and Conditions.
Invoices must meet the following criteria before payment can be made to the vendor:
- The invoice must bill Washington State University
- The invoice must contain printed heading with vendor name and remit to address
- The invoice must include an itemized list of goods or services provided to WSU.
Rapid Invoice Payment (RIP payment)
The Rapid Invoice Payment (RIP) process is a streamlined process that allows Accounts Payable to schedule department order payments when goods or services have not been confirmed as received by WSU. Also see SAAM 85.32.60.
Upon receipt of the department order invoice, Accounts Payable will:
- Schedule the payment for a future date (minimum 7 days in the future)
- Send a photocopy of the invoice with an affixed RIP stamp notifying the department of the planned payment
- Process payment on the scheduled date unless the department requests payment to be postponed