Central Travel Account (CTA) Cards
WHAT IS A CENTRAL TRAVEL ACCOUNT (CTA) CARD?
The CTA is a ghost credit card account through JP Morgan Chase (JPMC). The account is set up for departments to use when purchasing transportation – air, rail, and bus fare.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF USING A CTA?
- Allows departments to purchase air, rail, and bus fares without having to seek reimbursement for individuals.
- Centralizes the booking process within a department, which leads to more efficient transportation purchasing and easier expense assignment and transaction verification.
- Program/Project/Gift/Grant accounts are charged directly during the expensing process.
- WSU is in control of the ticket prior to the trip, which provides easier management of changes to itinerary.
- Departments/Programs are eligible to accrue reward miles for future travel.
- Personal resources do not have to be used for purchases.
- Advances for airfare are prohibited per WA State.
TO GET A CTA ACCOUNT:
Departments must apply for a CTA using a memo to Card Programs containing the following information:
- Department Name
- Department Cost Center
- Department Phone Number
- Department Address
- Contact Person
- Contact Person’s Phone Number
- Card Custodian
- Card Custodian email
For a sample memo click here.
GUIDELINES FOR USING CTA ACCOUNTS:
Who is authorized to use a CTA account?
- Department personnel authorized by their college/department are allowed to use the CTA.
- Any transaction other than air, rail, or bus fare.
Assignment, Verification, and Log-Sheets
- Departments are required to assign and expense all CTA transactions in Workday.
- Maintaining a log of all transactions made using a CTA is suggested.
- For more information see: Reconciling CTA Procedure.
- Steps to Assign a Central Travel Card Transaction
- Ensure purchases are compliant with WSU Business Policies and Procedures.
- Notify Card Programs if there is a change in the card custodian or primary contact.
- Maintain supporting documents and optional log sheet for all transactions associated with purchases made on the CTA.
Timely assign and expense transactions in Workday.
For more information regarding the Central Travel Accounts, please contact Card Programs.